Thursday 1 March 2012

Mid Summer Nights Dream, Steam Punk.
Helena 

2010 - First year in university and our project was to design and make two characters from Shakespearian play Mid Summer Night Dream. With help from Paul Shriek, fashion designer and maker, I made two costumes in a steam punk style, which is a mixture between Victorian and punk.


This was the design that I worked from, drawn by Donna Adams.


I created this bodice by sewing many strips of fabric onto the basic bodice then snipping the fabric then tearing and shredding it. I then put it in the washing machine which further shredded and frayed the fabric. 


The next item i made was this under bust corset, also called a waspie. I used the pink lining and cording to create a contrast with the white.



Fairy 

As part of the same project i designed and made a second costume, a fairy! For this i made a traditional ballet tutu then used shredded tartan to create a punk style. 




No comments:

Post a Comment